Alex McCready, Head of the Reputation and Privacy department at Vardags, is widely respected for her leading expertise in this area. Regarded as “the definitive reputation and privacy lawyer” (Spears 500) and a “total star” (Legal 500), Alex advises prominent high net worth individuals, families, and corporate clients both in the UK and internationally.
Alex regularly acts for individuals and companies in times of crisis and is committed to helping clients manage complex problems sensitively and discreetly.
As a leading media lawyer, Alex regularly secures withdrawals or amendments prior to publication and broadcast, as well as combatting unwanted media attention and defending her clients against national newspapers, websites, and social media. Alex has extensive experience advising on threats to personal and corporate identities, including those from disgruntled employees.
As “one of the sharpest, well-informed lawyers in her field” (Citywealth), Alex regularly works on noteworthy, highly sensitive and urgent cases, across a broad spectrum of matters. The team regularly represents high-profile individuals facing a threat to their reputation, including:
- Easyjet founder, Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, during his defamation claim against The Telegraph.
- A high-profile sportsman, who needed protection from blackmail threats. Following McCready’s involvement, the issue was settled confidentially within 24 hours.
- A senior executive facing a campaign of harassment. The case included a High Court victory featuring the very rare, discretionary decision to permit an extension of the one-year limitation period for libel.
Alex’s impressive reputation also attracts high profile clients with international connections:
- In the week leading up to the publication of the Pandora papers, Alex worked for several clients, including a global firm, to ensure reporting remained fair, accurate and balanced.
- Assisting with a multi-jurisdictional divorce case, likely to constitute one of the largest post-Brexit divorce disputes, providing a media strategy to a client of the firm’s Family Department.
- Advising a prominent Middle Eastern Royal family facing a social media campaign of harassment and defamation from a high-profile critic.
- Acting for a billionaire entrepreneur to respond to false allegations of corruption in the press, following an investigation by the OCCRP.
- Representing an international hedge fund, in rebutting defamatory allegations of criminality made against them in prominent European newspapers.
Alex’s success is in part due to her multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach to her client’s issues, including in times of crisis. Particularly with the big-ticket cases, her team joins forces with other departments, including family, criminal and civil litigation, handling all aspects of a client’s case. She also works collaboratively with other specialist advisors, such as PR and online reputation management companies, to get her clients the very best result.
We understand that our clients’ legal needs can be complex, requiring specialist advice in several areas. Our multi-disciplinary offering ensures that we offer holistic advice, handling all aspects of your case in one place. Alex leads on our complex legal matters and coordinates the different departments to provide comprehensive and innovative solutions, including:
- Corporate and commercial
- Children matters
Alex has been recognised as a true leader in her field, appearing in:
In 2019, Alex was listed in Management Today’s 35 under 35 celebrating Britain’s top women business leaders.
Alex gained a 2:1 in Law from Queens’ College, Cambridge, and completed her LPC with Distinction at the College of Law.
Alex’s expertise and vast knowledge in reputation and privacy law means that she is highly sort after for media commentary in both press and broadcast. Her opinions are regularly requested by ITV News, BBC News, Talk Radio, in The Telegraph and in Citywealth. Notably, Alex appeared on ITV News’ flagship programme to discuss Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah on CBS, and most recently has become the press’ go-to expert on the Prince Andrew situation, with her comments featured on BBC Newsnight and in the Daily Mail News and International Business Times UK.
Alex’s expert commentary was also heavily sought upon Prince Andrew reaching a settlement with Virginia Giuffre, where was features in over 200 pieces of national and syndicated national and international coverage recorded including The New York Times, The Express, The Standard, The Independent, The Daily Mail and others.
Thought leadership from Alex demonstrates her expansive knowledge of the reputation and privacy issues her ultra-high net worth and high-profile clients face, with recent examples:
Email Alex at [email protected]
“Alex is the definitive reputation and privacy lawyer”Spears 500
“We can always rely on [Alex] to keep us updated and advise on the best strategy for approaching any reputation or privacy issue”Client
“It doesn’t matter where or when you call. [Alex] always reacts quickly and professionally. She is a pleasure to work with.”Citywealth
“Alex is not only one of the sharpest, well informed lawyers in her field but she is also engaging and proactive 24/7.”Citywealth