Vardags — when you need to win

Types of children orders

There are three main orders in children proceedings.

A child arrangements order governs what people normally call “custody and access” or “residence and contact”. It will set out where the children live, and when and how they spend time with the other parent. These orders are very flexible in what they provide and often agreed by consent.

A specific issue order may be necessary when parents disagree about an issue unrelated to contact. This could be a dispute about which school a child goes to, whether a child is circumcised or what a child’s surname would be. Applications for permission to live abroad are generally brought under this heading.

A prohibited steps order is an order which prevents a parent from doing something. These are not usually related to contact, but for example could involve stopping a parent taking the child out of the country, or stopping them from spending time with a specific relative or new partner.

The information on this website is intended as a guide and does not constitute legal advice. Vardags do not accept liability for any errors in the information on this website, nor any losses stemming from reliance upon the statements made herein. All articles and pages aim to reflect the legal position at time they were published, and may have been rendered obsolete by subsequent developments in the law. Should you require specialist advice, tailored to your situation, please see how Vardags can help you.