Children and divorce

There are a number of important stages in the child contact process, a number of orders with regards to children, and several key points with regards to parents' rights of which you should be aware.

If you would like to know more about the issues covered in this guide, Vardags offers a free consultation to qualifying individuals.

Our confidential enquiry line is staffed 24 hours, every day of the year. Call 020 7404 9390 today.

Financial support for children

If you are married, capital provision for your children’s needs will be considered as part of your overall divorce settlement. If you are not married, then you will be able to apply to the court for provision under Schedule 1 of the Children Act. Schedule 1 allows you to claim for the provision of property, a... Read more

Types of children orders

There are three main orders in children proceedings. A child arrangements order governs what people normally call “custody and access” or “residence and contact”. It will set out where the children live, and when and how they spend time with the other parent. These orders are very... Read more

International relocation of children

If you want to move abroad with your children, or take them out of the country for an extended period of time, you will need either the agreement of the other parent or the permission of the court. If you fail to obtain this approval, removing the child from the jurisdiction may be a criminal offence. When the court... Read more

Stages in a Children Act application

There are three key stages in the Children Act: FHDRA A first hearing and dispute resolution appointment (FHDRA) is the starting stage in proceedings. Here a judge will decide what needs to be done before the case can be decided. This can include ordering an expert assessment or drug and alcohol... Read more

Parental Alienation

What is parental alienation? Parental alienation describes a situation where a child has been coerced, manipulated or otherwise pressurised to align themselves to one parent by the other. The child is essentially ‘turned’ against a parent so that the child rejects that parent. It can be... Read more

Mothers’ rights

When considering mothers' rights, the law starts from a point of view that children benefit from spending time with both parents. More often than not, a child will live with the person who historically did most of the caring. For many families, this will be the mother. Where a child does not live with the mother, she... Read more

Fathers’ rights

Though children more often go to live with the mother after parents separate, this is in no way an automatic assumption. Where a father has been the primary carer – doing most of the work looking after the children – it is likely that the children will remain living with him. Where a child does not live with the... Read more

Grandparents’ rights in divorce

Many grandparents play a key role in the upbringing of their grandchildren. Vardags understand that a difficult consequence of divorce can be a relationship breakdown or deprived time with grandchildren.  We specialise in advising grandparents on how best to re-establish contact with their... Read more


The Children and Families Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS) is a public body which is involved in children proceedings in the family courts. Their mission is to make sure that children's voices are heard and decisions are taken in their best interests. It is separate from social services, and... Read more

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility is defined as “all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authorities which by law a parent of a child has in relation to the child and the child’s property”. What is not widely recognised is the fact that not all biological parents automatically have parental... Read more

The information on this website is intended as a guide and does not constitute legal advice. Vardags do not accept liability for any errors in the information on this website, nor any losses stemming from reliance upon the statements made herein. All articles and pages aim to reflect the legal position at time they were published, and may have been rendered obsolete by subsequent developments in the law. Should you require specialist advice, tailored to your situation, please see how Vardags can help you.

Contact Vardags

01223 855237
[email protected]

1 Saint Mary’s Passage, Cambridge

View Office
01865 598 1429
[email protected]

Clarendon House, 52 Cornmarket Street, Oxford

View Office
01962 657268
[email protected]

1 St James’ Terrace, Winchester
SO22 4PP

View Office