Vardags — when you need to win


When the court decides how to divide the finances, it will look at all the circumstances of your case.

The court will generally share everything earned during the marriage equally between the parties. The court may depart from this starting point if, for example, one of you has made an overwhelming contribution or if the other has engaged in “wanton and reckless” spending.

Where this sharing is not enough to meet your needs, the court may redistribute assets or make orders for maintenance so that you can support yourself. When examining needs, the court will look at them generously and will have regard to the standard of living during the course of your marriage. The court understands that there is a difference between what you need to survive and what you might need to carry on your usual lifestyle.

The court will always treat the needs of children as paramount. The court will ensure that they are well-housed and that their lifestyle doesn’t suffer unnecessarily. Orders can also be made relating to child maintenance and to school fees. The exact nature of what order is made will depend hugely on the circumstances of your family, but at the very least the court will try to meet the needs of you and your children.

If you would like to know more about the issues covered in this guide, Vardags offers a free consultation to qualifying individuals.

Our confidential enquiry line is staffed 24 hours, every day of the year. Call 020 7404 9390 today.

The information on this website is intended as a guide and does not constitute legal advice. Vardags do not accept liability for any errors in the information on this website, nor any losses stemming from reliance upon the statements made herein. All articles and pages aim to reflect the legal position at time they were published, and may have been rendered obsolete by subsequent developments in the law. Should you require specialist advice, tailored to your situation, please see how Vardags can help you.

Contact Vardags

01223 855237 [email protected]

1 Saint Mary's Passage, Cambridge, CB2 3PQ

View Office
01865 598 1429 [email protected]

Clarendon House, 52 Cornmarket Street, Oxford, OX1 3HJ

View Office
01962 657268 [email protected]

1 St James' Terrace, Winchester, SO22 4PP

View Office