Law Guide
Law Guide
Law Guide
020 7404 9390
Available 24 hours

Freezing injunctions

Freezing injunctions are a special type of court order which restricts a partys ability to deal with or dispose of their assets. If you have good reasons to suspect  that your spouse is planning to move assets out of the country or to transfer them to friends, relatives or a trust then you can apply to the court to have those assets frozen.

Under a freezing order, a party is restricted from moving their assets for reasons other than their living expenses and legal fees. This will prevent them from putting that money beyond the reach of the court, and will allow you to feel secure that your fair share will be protected. Freezing orders are binding on third parties – banks and financial institutions can get in serious trouble if they help someone breach it.

Where there is an immediate risk that assets might be moved, you can apply for an urgent injunction without notice to the other side. This will allow you to have an order in place before your spouse can act.

The information on this website is intended as a guide and does not constitute legal advice. Vardags do not accept liability for any errors in the information on this website, nor any losses stemming from reliance upon the statements made herein. All articles and pages aim to reflect the legal position at time they were published, and may have been rendered obsolete by subsequent developments in the law. Should you require specialist advice, tailored to your situation, please see how Vardags can help you.


Ayesha Vardag

Founder & President Ayesha Vardag
“Ayesha Vardag - Britain's top divorce lawyer.” 
The Telegraph

Stephen Bence

Chief Executive Officer Stephen Bence
“Dr Stephen Bence is a financial genius.” 
Lewis Marks QC

Emma Gill

Regional Managing Partner - Head of Manchester Emma Gill
“Emma Gill is quite simply the best matrimonial lawyer in the North.” 
Legal 500
This site uses cookies. Find out more. Continued use of this site is deemed as consent.   CLOSE ✖