020 7404 9390
Available 24 hours

What can I do about a violent or abusive partner?

19th May 2016

Can I get a restraining order?

In the UK, only the criminal courts can make a restraining order, usually after a person has been on trial for an offence involving harassment or violence. The family court can, however make similar orders, known as non-molestation and occupation orders. 

What is a non-molestation order?

A non-molestation order (or non-mol) is one of the courts key powers in cases involving domestic violence. For more information, read our law guide on non-molestation orders. 

How do I get an occupation order?

An occupation order controls who lives in a home, and can be used to exclude those who use or threaten violence, as well as perpetrators of sexual or psychological abuse. For more information, read our law guide on occupation orders.


This site uses cookies. Find out more. Continued use of this site is deemed as consent.   CLOSE ✖