Trusts and wills

Powers of attorney

Vardags is a top private client and family law firm for advising on powers of attorney; please call us on 020 7404 9390 or email us to make an appointment to come and see us.

Introduction to powers of attorney

If you become incapable of managing your affairs during your life even for a short period, you need to have signed a power of attorney appointing someone you trust in your place. You can put a simple power in place for short periods, but the best way to ensure your affairs are managed under the guidance of the law is to register a lasting power of attorney form with the court of protection. For more details please refer to our guide to powers of attorney.

How Vardags can help with powers of attorney

Preparing a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)?

We can help you prepare a lasting power of attorney so you can choose your preferred people to make financial decisions on your behalf,  in the event that you become mentally or physically incapable of making decisions yourself.

We can also advise on health and welfare lasting powers of attorney, in which you can specify what life sustaining treatment you wish to have, what care you would like and any other specific requests should you lose the capacity to make decisions for yourself.

Registration of LPAs and Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPAs)

We can also register LPAs and EPAs for the person making the power of attorney or for attorneys in the event that the person has lost mental capacity and they wish to act on his/her behalf. This includes acting as a certificate provider.

What should I do if a family member or friend has lost mental capacity and does not have an LPA or EPA?

We can prepare an application to the Court of Protection for a deputyship to enable you or other person(s) to be appointed to act on his/her behalf in relation to his/her financial/property affairs and/or health and welfare matters.

We can also advise and act for you in the administration of a deputyship or attorneyship, including advising as to the responsibilities and duties of the person(s) appointed.

Court of Protection work and associated administration

We can also act for you in other Court of Protection matters where it is possible an individual has lost mental capacity:-

a) Approval of gifts of a person’s property (e.g. to save inheritance tax);

b) Statutory wills (i.e. making or changing a person’s will);

c) Removal of a trustee, attorney or deputy;

d) Appointment of new trustees of land to sell the person’s property;

e) Health and welfare case.

The first step is to arrange a meeting with one of our solicitors. Therefore, please call us on 020 7404 9390 or email us to make an appointment to come and see us.

Please note that Vardags provides a bespoke service to high net worth individuals seeking advice on powers of attorney from a top private client and family law firm. Our clients or their partners will typically have substantial assets or income.