Relationship difficulties

Dissolution of civil partnerships

Vardags is a top family law firm for dissolution of civil partnerships; please call us on 020 7404 9390 or email us to make an appointment to come and see us.

Introduction to the dissolution of civil partnerships

The decision to apply to dissolve a civil partnership is one of the most difficult decisions that one can make in life and so clients will often seek initial legal advice before deciding whether or not to proceed.  Depending on your particular needs we will discuss with you the arrangements that need to be made for your children in terms of their residence and care, the financial provision that the court would consider appropriate for the maintenance and support of the less wealthy partner and the grounds upon which a dissolution may proceed or indeed be defended. We deal with each of these matters separately to ensure that they each receive the attention they require and to ensure that the best interests of the children remain the absolute priority and entirely separate from any financial dispute.  For more details please refer to our guide to the dissolution of civil partnerships, our guide to finances upon breakdown of a civil partnership, our guide to child financial provision upon breakdown of a civil partnership and our guide to arrangements for children upon relationship breakdown.

How Vardags can help with the dissolution of civil partnerships

We understand the impact that dissolution proceedings can have upon families and how difficult it is to take the decision to dissolve the civil partnership. You can therefore rest assured that we will not apply any pressure to force you to make a decision that you are not ready to make and will help you to think through the full range of options available to you. We will be happy to meet you at a discreet location away from our offices to discuss your options where your case is publicly or politically sensitive. Therefore, whether you have been served with a dissolution petition or are considering issuing a petition yourself, you should seek our expert legal advice at the earliest opportunity so that we can help you manage this difficult process in the least painful and traumatic manner possible. To do this we will, where possible, seek to agree with your civil partner’s solicitor the particulars of your petition and the grounds upon which your dissolution should proceed to ensure that proceedings begin in a respectful and cooperative manner. We will then deal with the necessary arrangements with regard to your children and financial provision via correspondence, negotiating to strike a deal where a deal can be done and, only where that fails, fighting for your through the process of litigation and arbitration to achieve you best possible conclusion.

It may be that it is important to have your petition filed rapidly and without warning to your civil partner, either in England and Wales or in another country, to maximise your prospect of having your case heard in a legal system that will be favourable to you.  This is obviously dependent on the laws of other jurisdictions recognising civil partnerships.  We will help you make that evaluation and, if appropriate, organise your dissolution through foreign courts if that will be in your interests.

It may be also that you need additional protection, in the form of an injunction against domestic abuse to keep your civil partner away from you in the aftermath of the petition, or indeed in the form of a financial freezing order.  If necessary we will handle all of that before “pushing the button” and notifying your civil partner of your intention to issue a petition.

The first step is to arrange a meeting with one of our solicitors. Therefore, please call us on 020 7404 9390 or email us to make an appointment to come and see us.

Please note that Vardags provides a bespoke service to high net worth individuals seeking a representation for their dissolution of a civil partnership from a top family law firm. Our clients or their potential partners will typically have substantial assets or expect to have substantial assets in the future.