Q:What if my partner does not enter into a pre-nuptial/civil partnership agreement?


You cannot force your partner to enter into a pre-nuptial agreement. If undue pressure is applied it will most likely make the agreement unenforceable. However, it is also your choice as to whether or not you get married. By marrying in England and Wales you are consenting to the courts determining how your assets are divided (if no agreement can be reached) upon divorce.

Please note that you cannot contract out of any child maintenance regardless of your marital status or whether you have a pre-nuptial agreement.

Vardags is a top family law firm that specialises in complex cases often involving an international element. If you cannot find answers to your questions here, please consult our ‘family law guide‘ for further information, call us on 0207 717 9979  or email