Q:What do I do if I don’t have any money for legal fees?


If you and your spouse do not have access to funds then we would recommend that you get in touch with a legal aid solicitor. The law society will be able to provide you with a full list of legal aid practitioners in your area. If on the other hand you do not have money for legal fees but your partner does have access to income or assets, we are able, in the right circumstances, to apply to the court for a Maintenance Pending Suit that would include provision for legal fees. This order will require your spouse to fund your legal fees so that you have access to equal representation. The Court’s threshold in requesting this type of order is, however, extremely high and you will have to show that you are not able to obtain funding from an alternative source. It may also be appropriate to look into obtaining a Litigation Loan against any capital assets held in your name.

Vardags is a top family law firm that specialises in complex cases often involving an international element. If you cannot find answers to your questions here, please consult our ‘family law guide‘ for further information, call us on 0207 717 9979  or email