Q:My ex-partner won’t pay what the court ordered, what can I do?


If your ex-partner is refusing to pay then there are a number of options available. The most usual methods are as follows:

–       Obtaining a charging order over property owned by your ex-partner, whether owned in their sole name or otherwise;

–       Obtaining a third party debt order effectively to seize any money that your ex-partner has paid or owes to a third party;

–       Obtaining an attachment of earnings order, so that any monies due under the order can be deducted from your ex-partner’s salary;

–       Obtaining a warrant of possession or execution to seize goods or secure possession of premises; and

–       Applying to the court for an order that interest be paid upon sums over £5,000 at the judgment rate of 8%.


To maximise the chance of recovery steps should be taken to enforce your maintenance within 12 months of arrears falling due.

Vardags is a top family law firm that specialises in complex cases often involving an international element. If you cannot find answers to your questions here, please consult our ‘family law guide‘ for further information, call us on 0207 717 9979  or email